Thursday, June 11, 2009

Cleanign up my Ubuntu package list

After testing it on the Ubuntu Parallels VM, I decided to remove all Gnome-related packages from old cicada. I'm using slim instead of gdm, wpasupplicant instead of network applet, and of course xmonad. The login manager still defaults to 1204x768, but I suspect that's because the laptop screen only supports up to 1280x768, but it tries to maintain the external monitor aspect ratio. In any case, I managed to get both screens to work at the same time. The trick was to toggle it before grub booted, and voilá, 2 screens. I found a new coolness about xmonad, too - the 2nd monitor will display the last workspace seen, AND xmobar will tell me which desktops each screen is displaying. I'd still like to figure out how to automatically set the resolution for both screens on bootup, but for now I'm a happy camper with xrandr. For those with a more mouse-oriented mind, there's arandr.

Oh, and did I mention that wpasupplicant is much more reliable than network applet (not to mention wifi-radar, which sucked so hard it could pull a golfball through a garden hose)?

I found out that xmonad will keep the background that slim uses. That works nicely on my VM where the screen resolution stays the same, but on poor cicada it has a tendency to maintain the image at the old resolution and tile it. Bleh. I figure though that I just need to find a nice image for tiling (which slim also supports), and Bob's your uncle.

No comments: